Dear new joiners and returning members,
BFE Membership is open to all interested parties anywhere in the world. When joining or renewing your membership, please check you are set up with the correct membership level as per below.
Membership tiered rates are:
- Students/unwaged (£20 / €24 / $31) Anyone in full-time education or currently without regular income*
- Regular (£32 / €38 / $50) Anyone earning a regular salary below the enhanced rate
- Enhanced (£46 / €54 / $72) Anyone earning a salary above £43k / €50k / $65k
*Proof of student ID may be required from time to time.
Membership includes a personal subscription to BFE's journal Ethnomusicology Forum, which from 2011 is published three times per year.
How to join or renew:
The subscription year for all BFE members runs from January to December.
This year the BFE is implementing a new comprehensive in-house system which helps fully integrate the running of BFE membership/renewals, the website, mailings, events and conference sign-up etc. The new system is an exciting new phase for the BFE, and we hope to continually improve the experience of being a BFE member.
From 2017, you should renew your membership through the BFE website rather than the Taylor and Francis Website. The subscription year for all BFE members runs from January to December, but as usual renewal reminders will be sent out to existing members from September, to allow sufficient time for administration. If you are already a member in good standing for 2016, we invite you to renew already for 2017.
- 2017 membership onwards will be managed 'in-house.' To join the British Forum for Ethnomusicology (or renew BFE Membership) for calendar year 2017, please:
- Log in to your user account on this website (you will need to first create an account if you don't already have one), then...
- Fill out this Membership Form (note that you will see an 'Access denied' message until you have already created and account and logged in, as per Step 1 above) and...
- Follow the subsequent links to confirm your details and make payment (using a Debit or Credit Card, or using Paypal). Please take this opportunity to double-check (and amend/update) your postal address - an accurate postal address is necessary to ensure your posted hard copies of the journal arrive promptly.
- Once payment is confirmed and the new membership has been activated by our staff you will receive a confirmation email. When you subsequently re-log in to the website (and from now on) you should notice a 'Members Section' tab on the top menu to which you will now have access.
2016 membership was administered by Routledge (Taylor & Francis), the publisher of Ethnomusicology Forum. Should you wish to still receive print copies of the 2016 editions of the journal, please contact the publisher directly (follow this link to the Routledge website).
Subscription to Ethnomusicology Forum
Our peer-reviewed journal, Ethnomusicology Forum, is published 3 times a year, and includes at least one special issue each year. It provides an internationally renowned forum for the presentation of new thinking in the field of ethnomusicology, and encompasses the study of all music, including Western art music and popular music. As well as receiving hard copies of the journal in the post, members get prior access to journal articles online and can download PDF versions, which are digitally searchable and can be read on an e-reader. BFE members also receive online access to an additional Routledge music journal as a special benefit.
Preferential Rates at BFE Conferences and Study Days
Each year, the BFE holds a three-day conference as well as a one-day conference on a chosen theme. In addition, we regularly sponsor special study days and offer an annual student conference in conjunction with the Royal Musical Association. BFE members take advantage of preferential rates at these events.
Student Member Benefits
In addition to preferential student rates for BFE conferences and events, students may apply for bursaries to help with the costs of attending the annual three-day conference. Student members who present at that conference are also eligible for the BFE Best Student Paper Prize. As of 2016 the BFE also launched a Fieldwork Grant Scheme open to doctoral candidates who are also BFE members in good standing.
Access to the Membership Section of the BFE website
Membership provides access to a network of colleagues with shared interests and to the online membership directory, which enables you to post your details and view the research interests and contact details of other members. Members shape the future direction of the BFE. They have the right to be nominated for, and vote in, Committee elections and to participate in the Annual Business Meeting.
BFE Book Prize and Book Discounts
Members are eligible to submit books they have published for the BFE Book Prize, which was first awarded in 2014. BFE is a partner with the publisher Ashgate, which entitles members to a 20% discount on all Ashgate books. BFE members can also get a general 20% discount on Routledge books bought through their online checkout.
Thank you for renewing your membership to the BFE. In case of issues concerning membership, please consult the Frequently Asked Questions page, and if this doesn't help please contact:
For 2017 membership:
For queries relating to 2016 membership, or copies of the 2016 editions of the journal:
Informa UK Limited,
T&F Customer Services
Essex CO3 3LP
Email: TF.SocietiesInforma.com (TF.SocietiesInforma.com)
Tel: +44 (0)20 7017 5543 | Fax: +44 (0)20 7017198
Please accept our apologies if you experience any inconveniences during the transition period, and do not hesitate to contact our team.