Call for new BFE Committee members
Call for New BFE Committee Members
Deadline for Nominations: Friday 19th March 2021
The British Forum for Ethnomusicology seeks nominations for election for 4 positions on the BFE Committee. The terms of some current members of the BFE Committee members are coming an end; some Committee members will be standing down while others intend to stand for re-election.
It is vital for the future of the BFE that we have a strong Committee so please do consider nominating yourself. We are looking for committed committee members who will make an important contribution to the day-to-day running and future development of the BFE. In line with our equality ambitions as a subject association, we welcome nominations that will help the Committee reflect the diversity of our membership and discipline.
General responsibilities of Committee members include:
- attending 2-3 BFE Committee meetings each year
- engaging proactively in BFE business
- contributing creatively to BFE strategies and initiatives
- engaging in regular email communication with the Committee
- writing short reports on BFE activities for the annual Chair’s Report
- participating, when necessary, in working groups on specific BFE tasks
The specific roles for committee members in this election round are:
1. Conference Liaison Co-Officer
The Conference Liaison Co-Officers are jointly responsible for:
- organizing the BFE’s annual and one-day conferences, study days and other events in conjunction with local conference arrangement committees
- representing the BFE at the January BFE–RMA Research Students’ Conference (each January), at meetings of the RMA Flagship Conferences Subcommittee (2 or 3 per year), and through regular correspondence with the RMA and other subject associations (e.g., SEM, Analytical Approaches to World Music, Société Française d’Ethnomusicologie)
- providing oral reports on conference activities at BFE committee meetings
2. Membership Liaison Officer
This role includes:
- Developing productive relations between the BFE membership and the Committee, and bringing forward issues from members for consideration by BFE executive committee.
- Working on membership and marketing initiatives in conjunction with the BFE General Administrator (Dr Morgan Davies) and the Membership Administrator (Dr Raquel Campos)
3. Student Liaison Officer
This role includes:
- Maintaining and developing communications channels between the BFE student membership and the committee
- Reporting to the BFE Committee on student member activities and achievements
- Developing new content for the BFE Podcast Project and other related initiatives
This role includes:
- Being responsible for all aspects of managing the finances of the BFE, working closely with the BFE administrative team
- Preparing a financial report at the end of each year. Previous experience of accounting is desirable
If you wish to stand for election you must be nominated and seconded by two BFE members. Please send a proposal of no more than a single side of A4, which will be forwarded to the BFE membership by email and our list serve prior to voting. Include:
- Your name and a contact address
- Your current employment
- The names of the BFE members who have nominated and seconded your candidacy (it is not necessary for the nominators to email the Chair separately about the nomination)
- Length of time you have been a BFE member
- The specific role – from the 4 roles listed above – for which you would like to be nominated
- A statement outlining your suitability for service on the BFE Committee, highlighting relevant skills and experience
Nominations must be sent by email to Simon McKerrell (chairbfe.org.uk (chairbfe.org.uk)) and copied to Morgan Davies (adminbfe.org.uk) by the end of Friday 19th March 2021.
In order to vote you need to be a current member of BFE, so please renew your membership for 2021 if you have not done so already. Online voting will take place soon after the deadline for nominations and the results will be announced at the next AGM. This is scheduled to take place at 11am on Saturday 10th April, as part of the online proceedings for this year’s Annual Conference, hosted by Bath Spa. I look forward to seeing many of you there.
Simon McKerrell, BFE Chair